February 13, 2012

Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week: Pre-Soiree To Irina Shabayeva's Runway

Last year I've attended the "Aviation" Collection fashion show by Irina Shabayeva - her debutante collection, and I really, really liked it. It was her first major runway show. She was very nervous - [I'd be too], but nevertheless, very lovely and approachable.

(If you don't know who Irina Shabayeva is, she's the winner of Project Runway's 6th Season. But even before I met her in person, I already really liked her from the show, and even more - after seeing her collection..)


That's why I can't wait to see her Fall 2012 collection today, on February 13, 2012 at 4pm, showing at one of the stylish boutique hotels in Manhattan, Kimpton's Eventi hotel - [I think it's one of the coziest, sexiest, intimate, beautiful places in New York - that and The Standard downtown. I love staying at those...]

Of course, not I alone were surprised by her previous theme of the show - the aviation. So many members of the press have asked her that. I did too. I asked her why she chose a rather 'peculiar' theme for her collection.

She said that she was inspired by the aviation because it's been covered so much at that time (2009-2010) - from press to the Hollywood films like "Amelia" about the life of legendary American pilot Amelia Earhart, who disappeared while flying over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 in an attempt to make a flight around the world. So, Shabayeva took her inspiration from both - the films, as well as from the history of aviation going far back as to the very first signs of 'aviation' - to Da Vinci's unpublished sketches of what's looked like the sketches of the very first airplanes. She also took inspiration from the shapes of various birds' wings.

I wanted to both balance up and contrast heavy aviation-elements and light ones in my collection. I wanted to create the fantasy and freedom of a flight - shared with me Shabayeva backstage after the show...
Personally, I like how her designs are both sexy and ultra-feminine - with a very distinctive European 'accent' - but at the same time, they are also very masculine...

Follow my live-tweets from the show here, as well as check in with the blog later in the day and this week for more photos, videos and other personal notes from the NY Fashion Week.

No comments: